martes, 13 de marzo de 2012

Building Character with the Camioneta


March 12th, 2012
                                                                                                                                                                          
Well, I’m still here. After being offered taking an Early Close of Service, I came very, very close to packing my bags and calling it a day. Or rather a few days.  I remember talking to other volunteers saying, “Wow, I can’t believe I’m ACTUALLY going to be home within a month.” I even called our APCD on a Sunday to ask if I could still COS despite the deadline being on Friday. He told me yes, and to call him the following day. The next day came and went, and I didn’t make the call.

After battling sickness after sickness, all I wanted to do was to go home. Okay, so I thought of a great analogy today to put my experience into perspective for you all. Imagine being on a camioneta (bus) and being horribly nauseous while crammed in a seat between two people who reek of B.O and are yelling into a phone loudly in a Mayan language you can’t understand. You can’t move at all. You can’t scream at the ayudante (bus helper) to get you off because he’s hanging out the window screaming, “CHIMAL CHIMAL CHIMAL.” You have to sit on this bus for the next 3 hours with a horrible headache, the constant impulse to vomit, nostrils filled with body odor, all while the kid in back of you is pulling on your hair and mind you, you’re trying to keep track of your bags and avoid any pick-pockets.

So, this analogy relates to being sick and wanting to go home. The camioneta is our service in general.   All these crazy sicknesses, flea bites, market waking you up at 4am, people popping squats in your yard,  freezing cold weather, crazy hot weather, no indoor heating, no indoor plumbing, lack of hot water, are all the prior things explained that happen on the camioneta. Now imagine suddenly the camioneta breaks down, or Peace Corps decides to offer Early Close of Service.  The ayudante suddenly gives you all your money back then offers to fly you in a plane to your destination while offering you peanut butter pie, buffalo wings, your cute little 10 month year old nephew, and beaches.  It’s kind of like Peace Corps suddenly pulled the break on the crazy camioneta. 

You can get off. You can go home. You can get rid of the diarrhea, nausea, headaches, flea bites, gripe, allergies, overwhelming body odor, fijese que’s, and bad internet. You can have your SAFETY back. You can have long hot showers. Hell you can have running water. You can even DRINK that water- In the shower. Why don’t we even throw in a porcelain toilet into the mix?  In which you can FLUSH.  You can see your friends and family at any point you want. Take this free ride out of here. Go enjoy the luxuries you have gone 10 months without. 

After peeing blood out my butt for 4 days (¿TMI?), having a fever of 103.2 degrees, and having too many flea bites to count, it was pretty reasonable for me to want to jump off this damn camioneta ride and take that plane ride back normalcy. 

But wait, I am still here. I am still on the camioneta where I have no idea what crazy turns will come. What hilarious things the people around me will do. How much my tolerance, patience, and flexibility will be tested. What crazy adventures the camioneta will take me through. How much stronger the ride will make me. If I can just hold out the ride, how much of a better person can I become?  How much better of a Physician Assistant will I be with all these crazy, strange, difficult experiences I am being forced to endure? 

Yes, I am still here.

I am excited to be healthy again and be able to jump right back into work.  I anxiously await all the wonderful, breathtaking, eye opening experiences I know are waiting for me. Each day here I learn something new – whether it be from the people in my communities, from my site mate Jacob, from my boyfriend Venoni, about relationships of all types in general, or simply about myself. Each day is a new learning experience. There are books to be read, places to go, and inspiring people to meet.  At this moment, I know I can endure this camioneta ride for at least a little while longer. 

Either decision is extremely hard to make but I am okay with the one I did make. The goal now will be to stay healthy and be very busy with work.  As long as I have my mind busy on a project it will keep me satisfied with being here.  I absolutely loved when I could work as a nurse tech on a twelve hour shift because you were constantly busy helping patients while also making the jobs of nurses a little easier.  I thought I could leave here and do that again while getting in my clinical patient care hours for PA school. However, I am only 22 years old. I have the rest of my life to work in hospitals.  For now, I will try to occupy my constant need for work by burying myself in secondary projects while building myself as a person. 

I mean, who’s willing at this point to give up all that awesome Spanish music we’ve all slowly learned along the way while traveling on the camioneta? Bring on more Spanish music because we’ve got more lyrics to learn but please, dear Lord Baby Jesus in Heaven, please keep the sicknesses away. And take the fleas and mice with it.  Thank you.

Yours Truly,
Chelsea Charlie Chelise Chansi Chester Ana Leroux

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario